Friday, April 19, 2013

Pink for Baby

I've been knitting for baby boys (love my two newborn grandsons!) so much recently, that when Jessica asked if I could knit some booties for her to give a friend's girl baby, I gladly agreed.

This lace bonnet pattern was first brought to my attention years ago, and I knit it once before.  The pattern is seamless (wahoo!), and it knits up so quickly.  It's a great pattern, ingenious, really, because my seaming is not too good.  

The booties pattern is also seamless, knit from the soles and up to the cuff.  I modified the instep of the pattern by adding the lace pattern from the bonnet to the center stitches.  Now I'm thinking of modifying a cardigan pattern to match....

Has anybody heard of a grandmother's hope chest?  After knitting this sweet set for a baby girl, the thought crossed my mind that I don't have any granddaughters to be born anytime soon, but maybe I should start knitting and putting things aside for future grandchildren.  Babies are so much fun to knit for--almost instant gratification because the project is finished in short time compared to big people items.  Just a thought I had, but truthfully, I can't keep up with all the projects swirling through my mind, let alone knit to hold for the future. 

the free hat pattern:  Little Shell Lace Baby Bonnet
the yarn:  Berroco Vintage, worsted weight
the needles:  size 7 (4.5 mm)  

the booties pattern:  Eviepants All In One Booties
the yarn: Berroca Vintage
the needles: size 6 (4.0 mm)

 
 

 

5 comments:

  1. I think a grandmother's hope chest is a great idea. I don't have any grandchildren yet, but I know that if and when they do arrive, there will never be enough hours in the day to hug and play with them AND knit and sew for them too. I think we should start the tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful! I made that bonnet for my daughter, but I used a ribbon for the tie and it didn't stay put!

    My great grandma knit a baby blanket for each of her grandchildren. Not for when they were babies, but for when they had babies of their own. I know that she knit ahead of time, so that she would have them ready for her grandchildren when they started having babies. She had 17 grandchildren, and 50-something great-grandchilren so she only made the blankets for the families, not for each baby. I think in your case it's a little too early to start knitting for great-grandchildren though. ;) A grandma's hope chest sounds like a wonderful plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable gift! Babies are so much fun to knit (and sew) for. I don't have grandchildren yet but I do have a few things put away. Sometimes I just want to knit something cute and quick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely darling! I think you should knit one for a future granddaughter. You know never who the Lord will bless your family with next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness, those are adorable!

    ReplyDelete