Sunday, July 29, 2012

Life's Too Short

Becky has left a new comment on my post "Deep Waters":

"Beautiful colors! Do you ever use cashmere or anything more pricey like that? I've been wanting to improve my skills so I can try something more 'rich', if you know what I mean."
 

I love this question because it's something I've thought a lot about.  I have "promoted" myself from cheap acrylic yarn to mostly wool and wool blend yarns.  One day I definitely would like to knit with richer yarns, but truthfully I have a hard time spending the money.  It is not cheap to knit, unfortunately.

Because I am relatively new to knitting and am expanding my skills all the time by trying new techniques and more challenging projects, I am hesitant to pay big bucks for yarn on a project that may be a wadder.  However, my confidence is growing as I have more and more successful results.  And so, yes, I think about buying nicer yarns.  It's the money issue that holds me back.

Right now I have set, self-imposed, limits on my yarn buying.  I only buy yarn for a project that I will be starting right away (or soon) for a specific, intentional project.  I don't buy yarn for a stash.  Well, one exception--I do buy sock yarn. But as anybody who knits socks will tell you, sock yarn does not count toward stash.  Sock yarn buying is open game, anytime, anywhere, whenever a skein catches my fancy.  (I've informed my husband about this rule, and he just shakes his head laughingly as he hands over the money to pay.  Such a nice husband I have!)

For my budget, I do tend to buy most of my yarn from Knit Picks.  The yarn is less expensive than the "rich" name brand yarns, but it still is not cheap.  I dream of a day when some generous yarn company or yarn hoarder will bequest a bounty of yarn to me--piles and piles of beautiful, luscious, quality yarn.

The parallels are the same when it comes to sewing.  For those of you who sew, you know that better quality fabric costs more than poorly-made fabric.  I read somewhere recently, "Life's Too Short to Knit with Cheap Yarn."  Let's add, "Life's Too Short to Sew with Cheap Fabric" to the mantra.

  
A screen shot of my Ravelry page:  
I started knitting 6 years ago in 2006, and it's encouraging to see my progress.

10 comments:

  1. I haven't ever purchased any "rich" yarn either. I think smaller projects lend themselves to nicer yarn because you can splurge on one skein of yarn, have a lovely project, yet not empty the bank. :)

    I read in one of Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's books that a knitter should consider yarn for the entertainment value (time spent knitting) as well as the finished project. That encouraged me to buy slightly more expensive yarns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hit publish before I was ready. ;-) I don't have a lot of money for yarn but I value my project so much more when I use nice(er) yarn! There's nothing worse than using scratchy, cheap yarn - it makes the knitting less enjoyable and then the finished project isn't as nice either. There are a lot of nicer acrylic yarns available that are *way* above Red Heart Super Saver. :) My preference is natural fibers when possible, just depends on the project!

      Delete
    2. I wholeheartedly agree with you, Tammy. When I think of the money we DON'T spend on entertainment (going out, bowling, movies, amusement parks, etc.) it also helps put it into perspective. For me, sewing and knitting are my entertainment. :)

      I also think there is a place for acrylic yarn, so I'm not totally dissing it.

      Delete
  2. Haha, love your comment about the 'sock yarn'. My husband said we should learn to make our own yarn, and in all seriousness, I know people who do that and it's just gorgeous! I really do want to learn to card, spin, and all that someday. Money is pretty much an issue with everyone these days. sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once upon a time, years ago, somebody gave me a lovely table loom. I later sold it at a garage sale and I've been kicking myself ever since. Actually, it's probably a good thing...or I'd be weaving, spinning, growing my own sheep...there's no end, lol.

      Delete
  3. You make some great points regarding yarns for knitting as well as fabrics for sewing. When my daughters were young, I enjoyed making smocked dresses. I didn't want to invest the time in a cheap fabric which wouldn't last but I also couldn't afford the most expensive fabrics. I think the "middle road" is a pretty safe place to be with an occasional splurge for a luxurious yarn or fabric. (or sock yarn!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the middle of the road being a good place. For yarn, for me, that means Knit Picks with the occasional splurge like you said.

      Also, I used to smock for my girls, too, and I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I wonder if I should sell my pleater and other smocking supplies, but then I fondly remember those days and think I may smock again for grandchildren someday.

      Delete
  4. I don't like to spend a lot on yarn either, but I have plenty of cashmere to play with. Buying cashmere large men's sweaters from thrift stores is only around $7-$9 around here and after a little time investment washing and harvesting the yarn, you've got all that smooshy goodness to play with. :-) Check out the Unravelers group on ravelry if you need more info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I am going to have to check into the Unravelers group on Ravelry and take a look around at the local thrift shops. I never thought of looking for "yarn" although I often search for buttons on clothing at thrift stores.

      Delete
  5. We had a beautiful yarn store in our neighborhood, and sadly, it went out of business. Even though I couldn't afford most of the yarns there, I miss that quaint store. And I'm so glad that the one time they had a huge sale, I did buy some beautiful bamboo and organic yarns--I have no purpose for them, but someday! In the meantime, I constantly buy my all-cotton yarns I love when they are on sale at Hobby Lobby--when I can get them for a dollar a skein, I don't feel guilty about trying new knitting projects.

    ReplyDelete