Saturday, June 16, 2012

I Heart These Rulers

 
If you've read this blog for any length of time, you know how much I love using Ottobre patterns.  But one thing I dislike is adding the seam allowances to the traced pattern pieces.  Well, several months ago I ordered two curved rulers, the 3/8" and the 5/8", from Claire Tharp's Etsy shop hoping that they might make the job a bit easier.

It has been ages since I've sewn Ottobre.  But today I decided to make my 7-year-old a swimsuit, and I pulled out the 3/8" curve.  It was no problem adding just 1/4" seam allowance to the swimsuit pattern with this ruler.  





Let me tell you, these rulers are fabulous!  They make adding seam allowances soooooo easy!  Ottobre patterns are a maze of lines, and I've heard that Burda patterns are even more complicated.  I sound like a commercial, don't I?  Really, I'm just a satisfied curved ruler owner--no affiliation or compensation from Claire.  But if you do buy one or more of her rulers, tell her I sent you.  :)

As for the swimsuit sewing, it's almost finished.  I was interrupted in the sewing process and will complete it tomorrow.  Boy, it sure felt good to sew again!!!!!!  Even something as simple as a little girl's swimsuit.  

Happy Sewing (or knitting, which is what I'm going to do now),
Ruth


4 comments:

  1. oh my, off to buy them right now!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I too love Ottobre patterns, but hate adding the seam allowance.... actually, I just eyeball it.. which doesn't always work so well!... so this ruler is going to be fantastic. Off to buy one right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great. I like Burda patterns, but it is the same problem. Adding the seam allowance is not fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, those look amazing! I sold 3 of my 5 Ottobre magazines because I just didn't like all that fiddly tracing and adding of seam allowances!

    By the way, I think it is fantaastic when bloggers share products they like and were not paid or requested to do a review on. :)

    ReplyDelete