Friday, September 03, 2010

Summer Sewing Wrap-Up

Whew! What a summer it's been...long and hot!  Cooler weather is finally starting to breeze through Oklahoma this week.  Today was the first day we didn't have to run our air conditioner!  

Mom keeps reminding me that I haven't posted pictures of my summer sewing (all 3 projects, haha!). Most of my sewing time this summer was spent getting ready for the craft fair I did last weekend.  That was a blast and now I'm ready to do some fun sewing for the kids and myself, but first I really do want to wrap up with reviews of this summer's projects.

 

First off my was my Easter skirt...that got finished in June!  I actually only wore this once this summer...I don't know...it was just so white, and a bit too full.  I think I'd wear it more if I had a colored top to wear with it.  Oh well...maybe I'll wear it for Easter next year!

The fabric is from fabric.com...a sheer print with little chenille circles that add texture.  Any ideas of something fun to do with the scraps?

Next was sort of a refashion project that Marie and I have both actually gotten a ton of wear out of.  Exibit A (below) is Liberty of London print dress from Target. It was clearanced for $8.00  It's a girl's size 16, and it fit me but was too short to wear as a maxi dress.

I chopped the skirt in half and re-fashioned the top part into a sundress for Marie. The remaining skirt portion became a summer skirt for me!  It's fun to match sometimes!
Marie is such a spunky little girl.  I love her!!


Finally, in July, a special friend of mine got married and I sewed my bridesmaid dress and the dress for another friend who was also in the wedding.  

There were 11 bridemaids total and each girl used the same fabric but had a different pattern and style to her dress.  The variety was really fun and refreshing.  

You've seen the pattern for my dress, McCalls 5804, before HERE and HERE.  I loved how it came out made in formal fabrics.


Here's the closeup detail of the rose flower at the waist.  I used this tutorial for my inspiration.

Hopefully soon I'll have some fun fall sewing to show off.  Tonight after the kids went to bed I got a pj set cut out for Elliot.  I'm excited to use my coverstitch again!

Blessings!
Jessica

12 comments:

  1. Great projects! I love your matching outfits from that dress and your bridesmaid dress looks really good too!
    I'd take some of your sun and heat...we're heading into fall but feels like summer was barely here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous bridesmaid dress. Love the detail in the waist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the waist detail on that bridesmaid dress! The rose & cummerband-like piece are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love t sew to but I'm not as good as you!! LOL you do wonderful work!! I love the braids maid dresses great job!!! ANd that easter skirt OH MAN i would live in that all summer long!!! You make me wanna brake out the sewing machine :P have great weekend!!
    http://thislittleshabbychicvegangirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow the bridesmaid dress is really beautiful. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all of your pieces, but especially the bridesmaid dress. Totally gorgeous.

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post! I had to chuckle at your Easter outfit in June! Mostly about the "too white" part! As a mommy, I admire white on others...but view it as a laundry challenge waiting to happen...for myself! ;-) The McCall's pattern is wonderful! Every variation...and the formal blue version for the wedding was perfect! Flower addition charming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! You posted! You know, I have never seen your "Easter" skirt on you. It looks good in the picture...and you're thin enough that I'm sure it's really not too full. I love you! Miss you, too. Post pics of Elliot's new pajamas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all of the pretty things you made.

    I made my first pajama shorts. I actually made two. I wear them to bed every night. I am so happy with them. I should probably make some pants soon as it the weather will start getting cold. Hope you'll come take a look. By the way, I am turning 10 this weekend.

    Emily
    http://sewingsister.blogspot.com/2010/09/my-cuz-came-over.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting these projects. How fun that you got to choose and sew your own bridesmaid dress! I kind of like all the white in your first outfit, too. Perfect for those HOT August days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I first checked out this web write-up discussing a Travel Advisory Warning about Naples Italy, I concluded Sew Chic regulars should check this out! http://hubpages.com/hub/Tourism-Advisory-Warning-Avoid-Naples-Napoli-Italy-Crime-Filth-Danger

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love your bridesmaid dress! What pattern did you use for your Easter skirt?

    ReplyDelete