Monday, June 09, 2008

Favorite Skirt Pattern....Again

Remember the Gap-Look-Alike skirt I wrote about last week?

Carla drafted a pattern from my instructions and made her granddaughters several skirts. What I really like is how she modified the pattern for young girls by using elastic in the waist instead of a waistband with zipper. Carla used only 8 gores, scaled down the gore size, and allowed about 1 inch of ease for over the hips. Her skirts turned out great!

I am normally a "follow the pattern to the tee" kind of girl, and so I find it fascinating when I see others doing their own thing when it comes to sewing. I find a lot of inspiration in the sewing blogs I read, and I'm even starting to feel a bit more comfortable with branching outside of ready-made patterns and making my own modifications. I know I would never have made this "Gap" skirt if Jessica had not first made the pattern. But then, Jessica is more creative than I am---more of a designer--whereas I am one who has to have laid out plans, patterns, and instructions. I hope this is beginning to change in me....
Ruth


Carla's skirt

3 comments:

  1. I'm a long-time lurker, and I just wanted to say what a relief it is to know that you are a follow-the-pattern type of seamstress! I've been reading sewing blogs where the lady will make all kinds of modifications and just felt totally lost in it all. But give me a pattern and I can do it! So you have helped me so much just by saying that - thank you! LOL

    P.S. I love reading your blog and seeing all the things you and your daughter sew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Ruth, for featuring my skirt on your blog. 7 yo DGD helped to make a couple for herself and I made her younger sister matching ones. I'll post pictures on my blog when I can get them.

    Carla

    ReplyDelete