Sunday, December 09, 2007

Sewing for an 11-year old

Have you recently tried shopping for an 11-year old girl and actually found any dresses or skirts modest and appropriate for that age? If you have, please let me know where to shop. :-)


One day last week I was shopping for some clothes for Ellen who only has one cold-weather skirt that fits. Of course I couldn't find anything appropriate in the stores, so when I saw some baby corduroy at Wal-Mart I decided to sew a skirt for Ellen. Why didn't I think of that first?


The pattern I used is a Kwik Sew pattern from my stash. The skirt only has one pattern piece--a panel that is used 8 times to make the skirt. Instead of the elastic waist that the pattern calls for, I narrowed the skirt pieces and then inserted an invisible zipper down one side. Ellen doesn't like a lot of gathers and bulk at her waistline, so this was a good alternative. I did put some elastic in the waist casing, but just enough to keep the skirt at her waist without adding bulk.



Sewing this skirt has put me in the mood for more sewing. I think I'm going to search through my fabric and make Ellen another skirt or two....

Ruth





KWIK SEW 3274

9 comments:

  1. The sad thing is I find the same thing when trying to find clothes for my 7yo. She went to horse camp and needed jeans for riding, I went to about a dozen stores before I was able to find any that would be appropriate. I did finally find them at Mervyn's, all the rest were low cut, some were also too tight, so low cut that I don't see how any child actually could play in them. I was actually able to find some nice, modest, tops there last year, but since then all of the Mervyn's have closed in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skirt turned out great and looks very nice on your daughter. I'm not shopping for that age group right now, but from what I've seen, it has to be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The skirt is absolutely lovely. So far we've been saved by hand me downs from people from church, but even then I've had to give away half of what we've received because our idea of appropriate and other's idea are not always the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The skirt is beautiful and looks lovely on her. I have the same problem for my twin daughters who are not quite five. I have 12 outfits cut out for them right now and after the holidays need to get sewing. (I cut everything out in one day because for me that is the most labor intensive part. I thought it would make it easier to be able to just start sewing when I had time) I haven't been commenting but I have really been enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it great to be able to sew? I have been sewing pants for my four-year-old - he is tall for his age, and he's skinny. So it's hard finding things that fit well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently discovered this great book called Sew What! Skirts. It teaches you how to make a skirt from your own measurements, with/without zipper, elastic waist, bias tape waist, A line, tiered, circle, wrap around, all kinds of options. My SIL has made a few skirts so far, one for herself and one for my 3 year old daughter. It's truly the only "pattern" you'll need for skirts, for any age or size! I also encounter the clothing issues for my daughter, geesh, I'm not going to dress a preschooler like a 19 year old hottie! BTW, my name is Ruth also, named after my mom's close friend from her young married days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth,

    The skirt looks great!!! I think you should make her more because it is really hard to find appropriate clothes for little girls. I took my 8 yo and 4 yo to find some clothes recently.....we came home very disappointed!!! Actually....I've found it difficult to even dress my 2 yo little boy appropriately. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LLBean has a nice selection of "modest" type clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have trouble finding clothes for my toddler girls that cover them. The skirt is super cute and so is your daughter.

    ReplyDelete