Friday, May 19, 2006

Flap Hat



5 years ago when Jacob was a baby I made him one of these "flap hats." Now that summer is about here I've been thinking of making a flap hat for Emily to help protect her from the sun when we're outside. After a bit of googling, I found the link to the pattern for the hat and I thought I'd share it here. If I recall, the hat went together pretty easily and came out really cute. For Em I just need to find a girly fabric from my stash and get started. Hopefully I'll get the hat made before the summer is ended!

Btw, the second tiered skirt for Ellen is almost finished. I just need to put the elastic in the waist and do a final pressing! Ruth

3 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 20, 2006

    Thank you so much for the link! Just a couple of weeks ago I was looking for the same hat pattern for our sons. I had a grown-up version years ago for the lake when we went sailing and they are invaluable! Especially with a little clip on the back so you don't lose them in a gust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 22, 2006

    Hi Ruth, I just use a cord that is basically a bungee cord with alligator clips at both ends. One clips to the hat - the other to the back collar of the shirt. It's wonderful for keeping the hats from flying off in the wind. I think I found mine at REI (A hiking/boating center here in Atlanta). But I know they sell the alligator clips at craft centers, you would only need to attach something very short so as not to become an entaglement problem for small kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 22, 2006

    Thanks for the information about the clip, Gidget! I know just what to look for now. Ruth

    ReplyDelete